CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Snack Attack!!!

Just taking a break from this time travelin' journey to share a little snack with you.


A few days ago I baked my first batch of soft pretzels. I was dismayed that the ready to use mix that we bought from Williams-Sonoma wasn't as tasty and delicious as they said it would be. The mix was entirely too sweet and the gluten never formed properly (after so much kneading) so that I could roll long thin ropes to make the knots.

So I went and searched on Food Network's website for a simple pretzel recipe and found a really good Alton Brown version. Let this be known that I am not a baker, baking bread is a different beast in comparison to making cookies or cakes. And much more complicated than making making vindaloo.

 

The baking soda bath ensured that the pretzels browned evenly but the egg wash made it crispy and shiny. The pretzels turned out really great and was worth the effort. I'll make sure to make these again. They taste great with spicy mustard. See?


Su

0 comments: